Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Perfect Easter


This Easter I nearly forgot to put out my kids' Easter baskets, and I think it's pretty great.

Easter preparations for years up until now meant perfect planning of Easter basket goodies, coordinating sweet Sunday outfits for my kids and endless time spent on my brunch menu.

A few weeks ago at church our pastor talked about how the week before Jesus died he washed his disciples' feet.  His message to them was that we need to take care of one another.  I've heard this message a hundred times but somehow this time it made an impression.

Now I have a billion kids, a dog and a husband, so I'm kind of stretched thin on doing for others.  But I made a big effort this week in little ways. 

Tonight I hosted a dinner for my siblings and parents.  I picked up a few toys, made meatballs and spaghetti from ingredients I thought would taste good together and called them to come over early.  I wanted to spend more time with my family and less time making things just so before they walked in the door.  Remember I'm totally Type A so I've never asked someone to come over early in my life.  I'm normally fluffing pillows and rearranging flowers up until the last minute.

We had so much fun together that I completely forgot about my kids' Easter baskets!  For the first time in ages the famous Easter basket was not the highlight of the holiday.

These past few weeks I've focused on taking care of the people in my life instead of wowing them with perfection, and it has made me heart feel full.  Finally, I think I found the secret to the perfect Easter.  Hope you can find it too!

xo,

Kelly





No comments:

Post a Comment